Wednesday, May 9, 2018

What happened to my leftover yarn?

I know that many of you who stop by are also knitters or crocheters.  I know that many of you also have a horde of half balls languishing in your stashes.  Have any of you ever looked at what colors you have sitting in there?  I have taken a good look into mine this last week.  Where did all my gray yarn go?  I see a lot of black which I don't destash or use up because it is great for; a band on a hat, face on softies or just to round something.  I see a few little balls of colors that are darker than I prefer.  There are very few whites as it isn't my preferred neutral.   What I can't seem to find is gray yarn though!  I use a lot of gray!  I should have tons of scrap balls!

No, you might not understand this...  I use A LOT of gray yarn!  I use it in hats, scarves, sweaters, ponchos, softies, blankets....  Seriously!  I use so much gray it didn't surprise me that I only had two the over-sized skeins in my stash.  Somehow though, I had very little left in my leftovers bin.  My leftovers have some how gotten used up too!  I am so confused!  Maybe I just didn't have that many because I come back to it so quickly.  Maybe I still have a box of scrap I haven't found.  I don't know, the world may never know...


I didn't go looking for no reason.  While I was working on my Lenten hats for donation, I started making some granny squares from my blue and gray scraps.  After the finishing of the Dr Who scarf, I thought I would come back and just work mindlessly for a little while.  I have now used up 100% of my gray scrap yarn.  No, my blocks are on hold right now because I have no gray sitting in my stash or in the donations my Prayer Shawl Ministry has gotten of the years.  This granny blanket will be donated so I didn't have a problem pulling from the group stash either for this.  Nada.  Nothing.  Nix.









I did get a lot of blocks done.  The final size blocked these will be 12x12.  I think total I will need 20-24.  I have 3 smaller balls of blue sitting around waiting for their date to show up.  BTW, as a total side note, those three balls of blue appear to be all of my blue scrap.  I was very surprised by my shortage of blue too!

Now, I didn't decided to jump in on a gray project because I couldn't possibly do something the predictable.  I started a wide chevron blanket with some old Caron Wintuk (Dk Colonial Blue) and Red Heart Super Saver Jumbo in white.  I did grab the stitch pattern from the Red Heart site, it is called Chic Chevron Throw.  I liked the curve to the ripple and the length between zigs and zags.  This is another donation project.  I have a whole section of my personal stash in the craft room that I have set aside for donation projects.  The Wintuk has been hanging out in there for about 3 years now.  I already did a blanket out of it once.  So, this should bring up the end to that set of yarn. 


Right now I almost sort of kind of have a hole in that cube set from pulling the Wintuk out.  I have things that I will go into it next time I am cleaning up.  There are balls of yarn stacked up all over the place in there still.  This is why I haven't bothered taking a picture of my craft room to "show progress".  There isn't any visual progress because I keep moving things more into the open as space clears up.



Finally, I got some more card tops done this week.  These go with the set from last week.  I still have plenty of card stock waiting for another set.  I think this time I will start by making "embellishment clusters" and then building cards around those.  That should in theory help me to use more of what I have.  I also have some scraps that I want to cut down and keep for bases like I did with my strip scraps from Easter. 

My small makeshift craft table is very small (not that I have a lot of table space in my craft room) so I can't spread out as much as usual.  I haven't been finishing the embellishments as I go like I normally would.  I will come back and do more on all of the cards once I am done with them.  That way I can clear everything back upstairs and just work with gems, enamel dots, bows and pearls.

It doesn't seem like too much got done, but I also have been fighting indoor pollen (yes, I keep opening my windows to air out out house) and allergies non-stop for the last week.  I am just glad that I am getting a blog post up.

If you guys have any ideas of things for me to make with my stash or want to share what you guys are working on right now; I would love to hear from you.  Feel free to comment down below.  I still have many, many, many months left in the Great Craftdown of 2018!

Love and blessings to you all!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Premier Mystery Box Unboxing